Category : Clubs
Location : Oxfordshire
Date posted : March 12, 2010
Originally formed in 1918 as, strangely enough, Carterton F.C., teams competed as early as 1908 in the local Witney and District League with the home pitch being on the Alvescot Road Recreation Ground, During the Second World War there was no football played but on cessation of (military) hostilities Carterton F.C. was re-formed and played with limited success until 1983.
In 1972 Carterton Boys F.C. was formed who eventually took over the running of the men’s sides in 1982 and re-named the club Carterton Town F.C. Shortly afterwards a few teams broke away from Town and formed a new club called Carterton Rangers F.C. This highly competitive state of affairs continued until December 2003 when an approach was made to the Chairman of Carterton Rangers to become the Chairman of Town.
This led to the long held belief that the possibility of both clubs becoming one again was at last a realistic proposition. After great debate and many meetings the members of both clubs voted to an amalgamation with the new club being officially recognised as Carterton Football Club from the 1st August 2004.
This uniting of the clubs now offers the people of Carterton the opportunity to play football from 5 years old up until the legs cannot take it any more!
Kilkenny Lane, Carterton, Oxfordshire. OX18 1DY